Knoydart is one of the most remote and hardest to reach areas in the Highlands of Scotland. However, by sea kayak, it is a more pleasant way of discovering the magnificent hills of Knoydart.
This trip starts in Mallaig and the sea kayaking journey will lead us to the end of Loch Nevis. Once there the hills in the area will be explored.
This is a really special trip if you are into hillwalking and sea kayaking. The trip will take you to a remote bothy in Knoydart called Sourlies. We will be camping there. There is some great wildlife in the area. You may even come across 2 friendly deer and the fattest mouse in Scotland… Gordon. There is also a small seal colony in Loch Nevis.
Can’t find the right date or trip? Simply contact us and we will try our best to organise a different date for you.
Meet up at Mallaig Harbour get introduced and start packing the sea kayaks. If the sea is too rough to kayak in we can use one of the ferries into Inverie to avoid the exposed area. Paddle into Loch Nevis and as far as Sourlies. Should arrive at the camping area in the late afternoon or early evening.
Walk up some of the hills nearby. Sgurr na Ciche would be perfect to start with.
There are other nice hills in the area like Sgurr na h-Aide and Meall Bhasiter.
Kayaking out to Inverie. We can also go for a smaller walk if the time allows. In what order depends on the weather forecast or how everyone feels.
Spend the last evening at the Old Forge (most remote pub in mainland UK)
Paddle back to Mallaig with a possibility to explore some more of the coastline. Be back in the early afternoon and start loading the vehicles up with the gear.
On our 2-day sea kayaking journey, we will always go wild camping somewhere along the coast in or near the Isle of Skye.
What we offer beyond the norm!
- Friendly, experienced and professional sea kayaking instructor who knows the area like the back of his hand
- Most other sea kayaking providers would provide plastic kayaks. Our sea kayaks are high-quality fibreglass boats, which are designed for expedition use and have huge loading spaces.
- All our paddles are high-quality Werner or Lendal paddles with carbon fibre shafts.
- We replace our tents every 2-3 years. Most other providers would run their tents into the ground
- Our sleeping mats are mostly Therm-a-Rest NeoAir. You can’t beat a good night sleep.
- We also offer sleeping bags and liners.
- Food is all included so you don’t need to worry about organising that.
- All food is fresh.