Sea Kayaking Islay Whisky Tour
This tour is a first for Unexplored Scotland. The sea kayaking Islay tour will take the group around the beautiful remote island. There will also be chances to visit some of the many whisky distilleries on the island. The tour will start on the evening of the first day at the campsite in Lochgilphead. We will first of all meet each other and then have a look at setting up the tents and have a good evening. The tour will really start on the second day when we drive to Kennacraig to catch the ferry to Port Ellen. There we will pack our sea kayaks and start heading off. In what direction and where the start is depends on weather conditions and forecast.
Sea Kayaking Islay
The south of Islay is well inhabited and there are also most of the distilleries. On the way around the island are many remote beaches and magnificent sea cliffs. In addition you should be able to spot some wildlife like seals, whales and many different sea birds. It should take us about 7 days to complete the circumnavigation. On the last night we will stay at the campsite near Port Ellen and leave the island the next morning.
As with all sea kayaking tours at Unexplored Scotland we provide all camping and sea kayaking equipment. Due to the length of the tour the food is not included, but we will go shopping on the way at the few food stores on the island. The cooking is as usual communal and should always be a good laugh. There will also be a chance for a few BBQs (weather permitting).
Make someone happy with a Gift Certificate.
Can’t find the right date or trip? Simply contact us and we will try our best to organise a different date for you.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeGuided Tour
Activity Level Extreme
Group Size Small Group
This is a sea kayaking tour with a circumnavigation of Islay. There are also many opportunities to visit whisky distilleries along the way.
The island has some of the most magnificent sea cliffs and some very remote and clean beaches, which offer themselves as camping opportunities.
- Qualified Sea Kayaking Coach
- Fibreglass sea kayaks (limited amount available)
- High quality Werner sea kayak paddles
- Buoyancy Aid and Cagoule
- Tent sleeping bag and sleeping mat
- Friendly, relaxing and professional environment
- Limited transportation to the start
- Ferry crossing
- Fees for campsites
Meet & Greet
Meet up at the campsite in Lochgilphead.
The Journey Begins
Drive to Kinnacraig to take an early ferry to Islay. Then get to the starting point and pack our kayaks. There should still be a few hours paddling on the first day.
Continue with the circumnavigation of Islay.
The Journey Concludes
Finish off the circumnavigation and head to a campsite near Port Ellen.
Take a ferry in the morning and return to Kinnacraig.
This tour is mostly wild camping. Only the first and the last night will be at a campsite.
- Friendly, experienced and professional sea kayaking instructor who knows are area like the back of his hand
- Most other sea kayaking providers would provide plastic kayaks. Our sea kayaks are high quality fibreglass boats, which are designed for expedition use and have huge loading spaces.
- All our paddles are high quality Werner or Lendal paddles with carbon fibre shafts.
- We replace our tents every 2-3 years. Most other providers would run their tents into the ground
- Our sleeping mats are mostly Therm-a-Rest NeoAir. You can’t beat a good night sleep.
- We also offer sleeping bags and liners.
Yes, this is an advanced sea kayaking tour and should only be attempted if you already have some experience paddling closed cockpit sea kayaks.
Yes, we would advise a good tent that stands up to wind and rain though. After all it’s Scotland.