From 1 July 2021 Unexplored Scotland will provide dinner, tea and coffee only. Due to COVID19 and other reasons it has become very difficult to accommodate everyone’s dietary needs and requirements. Since dinner is cooked and has less of a risk we are happy to keep providing dinners. Every participant is responsible for bringing their own breakfast, lunch and snacks.
Here are some tips what works well for sea kayaking.
- Ready porridge
- Bagels with butter and jam/marmelade
- You can make bacon/egg if you bring your own cooker and pan
- Bagels (they last about a week, check dates)
- Pitta bread and wraps (check dates)
- Sliced continental hard cheese (Emmenthal, Edam, Gouda etc)
- Salami or dry-cured or smoked meat
- Dried fruit
- Other non-perishable or food that doesn’t need to be kept refrigerated
- Chocolate bars
- Cereal bars
What does not work!
- Bananas (they bruise too easily)
- Most fruit apart from apples (they bruise too easily)
- Soft fruit (they go off too quickly)
- Ready-made rolls, wraps or sandwiches
- Normal porridge
- Cheese blocks
- Sliced cheddar (they stick together when warm and crumble)
- Ham, beef or similar cold cuts
- Anything that needs to be refrigerated (except for food mentioned above)
Please contact us if you have any questions about what food to take or avoid.